How to Respond to Basement Water Damage
Isn’t it frustrating to come home to water damage in your basement? 98% of homeowners with basements will incur some type of water damage (Source: blog.waterdamagedefense.com) at some point. As water flows along the path of least resistance, it will easily find cracks and holes in the basement walls. There are many common causes of basement flooding, including insufficient drainage around walls, heavy rains, a faulty sump pump, or a combination of these factors. Due to the many ways you can incur basement water damage, it pays to prevent it as best you can.
12 Tips For Handling a Flooded Basement
- Position electrical outlets or plugs at higher levels in the basement.
- Avoid storing valuable items in the basement.
- Grade the ground next to your home to slope away from the foundation.
- Point gutters and downspouts to expel water at least 5 feet away from the home. Clear any debris that is obstructing the flow of water.
- Only plant plants and borders at least 12 inches away from the foundation.
- Seal windows and vents.
- Apply a waterproofing product along the walls inside the basement.
- Install a sump-pump to remove standing water.
- Install a French drain to address poorly-draining soil.
- Contact a foundation contractor to address foundation issues.
- Call a restoration company for emergency water damage extraction.
Long-Term Issues with Flood-Damaged Basements
Regular flooding in basements can generate the risk for mold and mildew, which can lead to eye irritation, sneezing, nasal congestion, and skin irritation. Mold has been linked to allergies, asthma and respiratory issues.
Additionally, basement water damage to the foundation can lead to structural weakness. Basement flood damage can be a costly mess that negatively impacts the value of the home.
Emergency Basement Water Damage Extraction
If you need basement water damage extraction, Panhandle Cleaning & Restoration has certified water damage cleanup technicians on call 24/7 for immediate response 365 days a year. Check out our water removal services to learn more about our water cleanup services.